Sunday, March 7, 2010

Nothing Too Exciting

Whew -- what a weekend! Chip has been one puny boy -- he's really never had a fever before now (unless you count a mild one for a couple of hours about a month ago). He has more than made up for it in the last 3-4 days. High temps of 103 and even above 104 a couple of times. Poor thing -- but he's still good-natured and would even smile some when he felt crummy! He's on an antibiotic, but I think he and Tre' are headed back to the doctor tomorrow morning. We're ready for him to feel better.

Though we didn't get out to enjoy it much since Chip was sick, it was a beautiful weekend! It looks like maybe, just maybe spring is on the way!! I'm so glad we had some good cold (for South GA) weather this winter, but I confess to being ready for spring. I want to get our vegetables in the ground and we need to do some work on Catie's garden. Iz will have fun with all that this year. She's already helped Tre' move a few blueberry bushes that had sprouted up from our other ones. She keeps wanting to know when we can pick them. I think we're going to hit 75 degrees -- bring on the spring!!

Someone asked me the other day what I missed most about Catie... Hmmm... hard question, and one that I don't know that I've ever thought about -- it's hard to pick just one thing. Originally I missed her snuggly self curled up next to me. Then as time passed, and Iz was still really small, I very much missed the conversations we had. She was starting to think and communicate big thoughts before she died and I missed that... still miss that a lot, in fact. Now Iz is starting to think big thoughts and it's fascinating to me to see how they think about such different things. I guess now I just miss her and the way we related to each other. As a mom, each of my kids is sooo different and thus the way we relate to each other is different. None is better than the other, they're all just so very, very different (still amazes me that these 3 kids came from the same parents). But I miss the way Catie and I related to each other b/c it was different than the way Iz and I do and the way Chip and I do... I also miss her giggle and her holding my ear. Lots of other things too, but tonight those are what I miss the most. Still hard to believe it's been 3 years...

Off to get things ready for the week -- counting the days till spring break!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with how amazing it is that the same parents have totally different children.

By the way, any suggestions on how to donate my cord blood. I have tried several avenues and the doors have been shut. We were not planning to store it, but I hate for it not to be used at all. It has been a frustration process knowing it could help someone but having no way to get it into the right hands!

jandkland said...

It is hard to believe it's been three years. I remember it so well...pregnant with Natalie and weeping uncontrollably on the couch with my husband beside me, weeping too. We are so grateful for the chance to know Catie through your words and photos. As I've said before, she has truly changed our lives.

I'm sorry to hear about Chip. I'll be thinking of you as you try to get to the bottom of his illness. I know you're ready for him to be well!

--Kelley

Natalie Maxey said...

Just wanted to say I've been thinking about you lately. Sounds like lots of good "normal" going on over there! Please do share more kid stories!

I also wanted to respond to the earlier commenter who asked about cord blood donation. Cryobanks does it through any hospital. (We used them for storage.) Sorry, but I didn't want there to be anyone out there who wanted to donate and wasn't able to!

Natalie

Martha from NC said...

Sorry little Chip is feeling yucky. Hoping by now he is feeling better and is back to his cute self. I so enjoy reading about all that's going on with your precious family and also hearing your thoughts on missing Catie. What an amazing little girl she was and what a mark she made on so many lives. So many of us never knew/met her but boy did we grow to love her. Thanks for sharing her with us.

I'm with you....come on Spring. Have a great weekend.